Yours to enjoy. Yours to protect.
Living in Ventura County, we share a special connection to our watersheds. Our watersheds are our hills, orchards, fields, creeks, cities, and neighborhoods. When it rains, water runs over the land and collects litter, waste and chemicals before entering our storm drains. Pollution travels through storm drains untreated to the Ventura and Santa Clara Rivers, Malibu and Calleguas Creeks, the arroyos, estuaries and beaches – and eventually into the Pacific Ocean. Protecting our waters starts in our watersheds!
Here’s what we can do to help keep our watersheds and ocean clean:
- Take action! Watersheds and the ocean belong to everybody, so it is everyone’s responsibility to protect them from pollution.
- Always do your part to keep our watersheds clean! Use eco-friendly yard chemicals, pick up after your pets, and pick up litter when you see it.
To enter the poster contest, draw a picture with a message about how we can keep our watersheds and ocean pollution-free and healthy. Be creative!
Contest winners will have their artwork displayed so they can share their message with the community. Display locations vary throughout the county, but may include city hall, transit centers, trash cans, and public libraries. Simply submit your artwork online or by mail. The contest is open to students in grades 2-5 who reside in the County of Ventura. Online submissions must be entered by an adult.
How to Enter:
Please read all rules and regulations below carefully before submitting your poster:
- The contest is open to students in grades 2 – 5 who reside in County of Ventura and the incorporated cities of Camarillo, Fillmore, Moorpark, Ojai, Oxnard, Port Hueneme, Ventura, Santa Paula, Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks.
- All entries (online or by mail) must be submitted by an adult.
- Artwork must be hand drawn on an 8 x 11 white sheet of paper, in landscape orientation or portrait.
- No construction paper or colored paper.
- Artwork in color is encouraged.
- Artwork must be original and created 100% by the student contestant.
- Artwork must not contain copyrighted text or characters.
- Winners will be contacted directly and announced on the contest webpage (webpage link to be added to the Cleanwatershed.org site).
- Contest cycle: May 11 – June 30.
Enter Online: Click here to go to the online submission form. Scanned artwork must be in 300 dpi or higher resolution. Only PDF and JPEG files can be accepted. Please keep the original artwork until winners are announced.
Enter By Mail: Download the submission form here and mail with artwork in a flat sturdy envelope. Folded, rolled, or stapled artwork is not encouraged. Please do not mail in flash discs or drives. Write the contestant’s name, in pencil, on the back of the artwork. Mailed entries must be received by the entry deadline.
Mail artwork and complete entry form to:
Attn: Lara Shellenbarger
Ventura County Watershed Protection District
800 S. Victoria Avenue
Ventura, CA 93009-1610
All entries become property of the Ventura County Stormwater Quality Management Program and Ventura County’s Community for a Clean Watershed program.
Questions? Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.